Home electrical problems can be a major safety hazard and shouldn’t be ignored. Not only can they cause damage, but they may also pose a risk to your family. Here are a few common signs of an electrical problem in a home, so you can address them before they become a bigger issue.

Flickering Lights are Signs of an Electrical Problem

Flickering lights might be due to something as simple as a loose light bulb or could indicate a bigger issue, such as faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit. If you notice flickering or dimming in your home’s lights, identify where and when the problem occurs. When one fixture is flickering, try replacing the bulb before assuming that there is an electrical issue. If the flickering doesn’t stop, call an electrician to troubleshoot and make repairs.

Electrical Shock

If you experience a shock when you touch an appliance or light switch, this could be a sign of faulty wiring or an electrical device that is not grounded properly. Electrical shock is a serious hazard sometimes caused by exposed wiring or a defective appliance. It not only places the person at risk of physical harm but can also cause property damage or a fire.

Breaker Tripping Frequently

If a circuit breaker trips more than usual, it could indicate a larger issue at play. There could be too much drain on the circuit. Move appliances to an outlet of their own and shift electrical devices to a different circuit. The electrical systems in some older homes were not intended to handle a modern family’s electrical needs. Talk to an electrician and have additional circuits installed to manage the electrical load in your home.

Signs of an Electrical Problem: A Burning Smell

If you’ve noticed a burning smell in your home or office, it is often caused by wiring that has become overheated and should be addressed as soon as possible. The odor often smells like burning plastic because the protective insulation around a wire is damaged and may be melting. Left unchecked, this issue can cause further problems to the wiring and result in a fire.

Buzzing Sounds

If you hear buzzing sounds from lights or electrical outlets, this could indicate a serious issue and should not be ignored. Buzzing from these areas is typically caused by loose wiring connections, overloaded circuits, or a faulty light switch.

When loose wires come in contact, they can create arcing, which causes the buzzing sound you hear. Overloaded circuits may also cause this sound because the current is too strong for the circuit to handle. Faulty switches can generate a buzzing sound due to wear, making them unable to completely switch off power when turned off.

If you notice signs of an electrical problem in your home, address them immediately. Do not attempt to fix it yourself, as electrical work can be dangerous. Call a licensed electrician to assess the issue and make necessary repairs.

First American Home Inspections provides inspections to customers in Buford and surrounding areas. Contact us to schedule our services.